Friday 27 March 2009

2B or not 2B?

IYO txtng = NME or NBD?

Translation for those of us non-conversant with SMS-type speech: "In your opinion is texting the enemy or no big deal?"

2B or not 2B?

Let me begin with:
1. a fact,
2. a comment,
and then
3. an opinion.

1. Language changes by the people who use it.
2. Not all people like all the changes. (I h8 txt msgs, John Humphrys).
3. Academic and formal writing in is not yet about to give way to text messaging writing conventions. At least, I hope not, though I confess if this were to happen as in this reported example from New Zealand from USA Today, then it's possible that I may well join with the veteran BBC broadcaster, John Humphrys in his irritation (to put it mildly) of this emerging slanguage.

I posted a comment on the changes in spelling/writing conventions here. (Should give you an insight into what I think).

Spelling/writing conventions change over time; this has been particularly evident in English. I was at a spelling seminar once and the issue of SMS spelling/texting was featured and its role in redefining how people write and spell in formal and informal communications. In formal communication, people can get away with non-conventional spelling and writing rules in advertising, for example.

I haven't, I confess, quite got a grip on texting in short form when I'm sending messages, and find that I have developed my own fairly speedy texting skills using punctuation and regular spellings pretty much throughout.
March, 2009
ICE (in case of emergencies), follow this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...